[K4RY] Meeting Minutes

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Wed Aug 27 09:03:20 CDT 2014

My guess is that headphones would be a sanitary problem.  So, as you say, if speakers have been acceptable before, go for it.  I don't think I'd want to use a set of phones that have been on someone else's head and ears.  They tend to be like combs and toothbrushes in the amateur radio world - you have your own and you don't share them.

A PV array for an HF receiver wouldn't be very small, and I'd think AUARC would want to tout it rather than hide it as one of those 'renewable' things.  Typically, a 5 watt panel is about 1.5 square feet, and you would likely need more than one, unless it is a very low power HF receiver.  Even the lowly Yaesu FT-817 takes a half an amp at 13.8 volts, so that's nearly 7 watts just receiving.

The sun is also necessary, too!  ; )

73

John...
WB4LNM

There's also the option of using headphones for the rig stations. I was mostly speaking from experience with the swing club--we've never had anyone object to us having laptops out and playing music from them, but it was never loud enough to carry further than neighboring tables.

I think I have a couple tiny solar panels hidden away--they run about a volt total I think? Not sure how useful they'll be, but if we could throw together an array it could work.