[K4RY] AUARC: Report from Wednesday's Club chow-down

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Thu Sep 29 10:21:30 CDT 2011

Hi all,

We had a fun time cooking hot dogs outside Broun today! The weather
was perfect for a cookout, despite being overcast. Dr. Jaeger, Byron,
Dr. Hung, John K., and myself were all in attendance. We had a few
people wander over and ask what we were up to, though we didn't seem
to garner much attention today. One possible factor was the fact that
Hey Day was today. The free food over on the green seemed to attract
more attention than our all-beef franks. We are already talking about
having another cookout a month from now, though my travel to
California for the AubieSat-1 launch may delay the lunch a week or so.
I'm thinking filet mignon! Well, maybe we better stick with
hamburgers. :)

After we ate too many hot dogs, we crawled up to 411 to work on the
iGate computer. After reading the help pages for UI View32 and messing
with a few settings, we finally were able to connect to the server. I
am now comfortable enough with the software that I might just have to
set up an iGate station here at my condo.

We are still discussing the possibility of making our iGate station a
full digipeater, but there are still some concerns. At least the K4RY
iGate is now forwarding packets to the Alabama iGate server
(third.aprs.net, I believe)!

Next week we will sit down and reprogram the 2m repeater to get rid of
the silly messages ("Coming at you with seven million microwatts!",
"From way, way up on 'hail' 'e' center, this is K4RY!", etc.). Come
join us in the Student Center, conference room 2109 next Wednesday!

73

Kyle
KK4ANG