[K4RY] Thursday equipment update

wb4lnm at aol.com wb4lnm at aol.com
Thu Oct 14 23:32:09 CDT 2010

Good morning;

As mentioned previously, I have been working on the Club's Heath SB-301 HF receiver.  I'm happy to report that all of the old electrolytic capacitors have been replaced, along with a number of carbon composition resistors that were also showing signs of age.  Carbon comp resistors increase resistance with age, and some of these were reaching 40 or 50 years of service life.

I've hunted down some undesirable (to me) 120 Hz hum and have all but eliminated that with some new shielding wiring runs inside the radio and improved grounding.  I have also replaced the not-so-reliable RCA phono socket with a BNC connector for the antenna.  Next I'll move on to a tune up by the book  to make sure it meets all of its specs.

I'll soon (perhaps Monday) return the SB-301 to Broun 411 for your listening pleasure, and then perform pretty much the same thing on the companion SB-401 transmitter.  Then I'll put them together so that the Club has an operational HF station.  This is a good, reliable 100 watt transmitter / receiver pair that sold tens of thousands of units.  It should be great for everyday voice and CW use.  I used it last night to listen to the Alabama state net and it performed flawlessly.

Peter and I will be working on the Club's one working PC Friday morning to get it up and running for iGate service.  The two meter transceiver is already in place and hears well on 144.390 MHz.

Questions?

73

John...
WB4LNM