[K4RY] AUARC: SB-301 Receiver rehabilitated and aligned - sounds good!

WB4LNM at aol.com WB4LNM at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 23:36:03 CST 2010

Hi Peter;

I would appreciate your help to operate K4RY on Saturday morning, 4
December, as a special events station with other SEC university club stations to
mark this event. Since Auburn will be in the SEC championship whatever the
outcome of the Alabama game, I plan to operate the station probably
beginning at  7 AM, local.  However, I will want to vacate the property in time to
travel  home to watch the SEC championship game.  Please let me know.  You
certainly don't need to be there at 7AM, that's just the time the SEC event
starts.

Let's see if I can answer your questions.

No, the Heathkit SB-301 receiver testing was done at my home where I  have
the signal generators and other test equipment easily accessible to tune up
the radios.  I don't know where this equipment might be in Broun  Hall.

You are correct that 75/80 meters isn't great during the daytime, but it
does cover the state and close-by surrounding states at that time.  It is
much better at night, and that is why I want to get a dipole up on the roof
for  75/80M.  This will also allow K4RY to be a participant in the Alabama
Emergency Net on 3965 kHz in the evening to increase our visibility.

If you want to hook up your PC to the Heathkit receiver, that is  fine.
Just be aware that the audio output connector on the Heathkit  receiver is an
RCA phono connector, and it is expecting a ~ 8 ohm load, so bring  a patch
cord accordingly.  Even though 75/80 during the daytime is poor,  the current
K4RY antenna on 20 meters should give you lots of listening  opportunities
with FLDIGI.

My Tigermail email password will not allow me onto the PC in the Club, so
you can do what is needed to hook up anything to the PC that you want to.
I tried again on Monday, but it just won't work.  That's ok, but it will
leave implementation of the iGate to the student members who can access the
network.

Noon to 1 on Thursday I can do if you like.  Let me know if that works  for
you, and I'll put it on the calendar.

73

John...
WB4LNM

In a message dated 16-Nov-10 21:25:23 Central Standard Time,