[K4RY] A-Day Special Event Station

Christopher Hathcock cwh0009 at tigermail.auburn.edu
Fri Apr 8 16:17:15 CDT 2016

Tomorrow we will be hosting our special event station for Auburn University's 160th Anniversary and A-Day. Auburn University was founded in 1856 as East Alabama Male College. We have obtained permission to setup our station right in the middle of Samford Park. The goal of our special event is to celebrate the foundation of the University, enjoy A-Day, and promote AUARC and amateur radio as a hobby. We will be operating under the special event callsign W4E for the duration of the event. We will have commemorative QSL cards to send out for the event.
Our schedule for the day is pretty straightforward. We will be setting up in front of Samford Hall at 7AM, we'll have a lunch break around noon, and we'll try to break down when things start slowing down, probably a little before 5PM. It will be 42 degrees Fahrenheit when we setup in the morning, with a high of 63 degrees and 10 to 15 mile and hour winds, so please dress accordingly. Other than the cool temperatures, we should have a beautiful day.
We will have three radios setup, an IC 718 on HF for SSB, an Elecraft KX3 on HF for digital modes, and a mobile VHF rig on simplex for communicating with HTs and if local hams want to call in without sitting in the pileup on HF. We will try to operate on different bands to reduce interference, since our antennas will only be 20 to 30 feet apart. This is a constraint of the site and we can't really do much about it. We'll put the VHF radio on 146.5 and adjust if necessary. We'll post updates on frequencies as well as photos and announcements to the club Facebook page and Twitter.
The only things you will need to bring if you'd like to operate are a folding chair if you want a place to sit and snacks. I'll try to have some doughnuts there and we'll send a few people to go place orders at Jimmy John's around 11:30 AM.
If you have volunteered to bring out any equipment, I will send an additional email to you with the compiled equipment list.
Chris Hathcock, KD2BRP
AUARC President