[K4RY] Listen to FOX1A satellite

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:07:25 CDT 2015

We had a successful launch this morning of the AMSAT FOX1A satellite from
Vandenberg AFB, and both telemetry and voice ID have been heard around the
world.

The first pass over this part of Alabama should start around 6:45 PM this
evening, and continue for 10-12 minutes.  I would think you might be able
to hear this, although weakly, on an HT with a duckie antenna.  Better on a
mobile antenna, and of course, even better on a directional antenna.

The frequency is 145.980 MHz.  About every two minutes, you should hear a
quieting of your receiver, and then a young ladies voice saying, "FOX1,
SAFE MODE".  There is a plan in place to command the satellite into high
speed data mode on that orbit, so if you hear something that sounds like an
old phone modem instead, this is what has happened.

Reception reports are requested.  Thanks and 73

John...
WB4LNM