[K4RY] October is a Busy Month

SueAnne Griffith sng0005 at tigermail.auburn.edu
Thu Oct 8 12:25:34 CDT 2015

Good afternoon,

Firstly, thank you to Bob and Cheryl for coming out this week to talk about RTTY.  Any club members interested in seeing them in action during a contest is welcome to head over to the HODARS station this weekend to participate and ask questions (time and address in previous email).

Next week's presentation will be by Gary Pike on contesting; he'll be presenting in Broun 235 at 18:00 on Tuesday the 13th.  This is all a lead up to the School Club Roundup (SCR), which is a twice-yearly contest put on by the ARRL and aimed at school groups like ourselves.  The fall edition of the SCR begins on October 19th.  The full rules and scoring information can be found here: http://www.arrl.org/school-club-roundup.

The 2015 Simulated Emergency Test will be Saturday, October 17.  I'll pass along more information as soon as I get it, but the important thing to know is that it's a great introduction to volunteering and emergency preparedness with amateur radio.  We've helped out in the past, and last year the hams of Alabama shattered their own records and got first place in the nation (again!).

Lastly, the Loachapoka High School Robotics Team has graciously invited us to join them at their school on Saturday, October 24th for a combination robotics competition and Mini-Maker Faire.  If you're interested in volunteering to judge the robotics competition (no experience necessary!) and/or display some neat gadgets and gizmos at the Faire, please let me know by this weekend so that we can request the proper number of tables.

Calendar Recap:

October 13 at 18:00 - Gary Pike on Contesting

October 17 - Simulated Emergency Test

October 19-23 - School Club Roundup

October 24 - Loachapoka Robotics/Mini Maker Faire

Thank you all for being such awesome people and making this such an awesome club!

73,

SueAnne (KK4UWV)

AUARC Vice President