[K4RY] AUARC Meeting Cancelled Today 10/8

Christopher Hathcock cwh0009 at tigermail.auburn.edu
Tue Oct 8 16:17:56 CDT 2013

Hey everyone. I forgot to prepare material for today's presentation so we won't be having a meeting today. We'll have a regularly scheduled net this Sunday and I'll make sure to send out a reminder for it. Next meeting we'll (hopefully) be assembling an upconverter for the RTL-SDR USB dongle. Here's a parts list so feel free to look through your parts bin and bring what you can.

Callout

Description

Quantity

Appx. Unit Cost

Total

C1-C3

0.1 uF capacitor

3

$0.02

$0.06

C4-C6

0.001 uF capacitor

3

$0.02

$0.06

C7

100 uF, 25V electrolytic capacitor

1

$0.05

$0.05

C8, C9

0.05 uF capacitor

2

$0.02

$0.04

D1-D4

1N4007 silicon diode

4

$0.11

$0.44

J1-J3

RCA type panel jack

3

$0.85

$2.55

J4, J5

F-type coax panel jack

2

$1.00

$2.00

K1

SPDT relay, 5V coil. Omron G5LA-14-DC5 or equivalent

1

$1.37

$1.37

R1

150 Ohm ¼ W resistor

1

$0.01

$0.01

R2

33 Ohm ¼ W resistor

1

$0.01

$0.01

S1

SPST miniature toggle switch

1

$0.12

$0.12

T1

RF isolation transformer, 2 turns each side on a BN-43-2402 binocular ferrite core

1

$0.30

$0.30

U1

LM7805 voltage regulator IC

1

$0.70

$0.70

U2

NE-602 mixer IC

1

$2.50

$2.50

U3

125MHz 3.3v CMOS Oscillator, Vectron VCC1-A3B-125M00 or equivalent

1

$2.60

$2.60

$12.81

If you've got any of the parts on this list feel free to let me know and bring them in. I'll try and put in an order for everything we're missing within the next two or so days. If the parts don't come in in time then we can swap around the antenna building contest with the upconverter project.

I also don't really have a plan for the antenna workshop/contest, so if anybody has a suggestion for a type of antenna to build or materials that we can use that would be helpful. VHF and UHF antennas could work well with the handhelds we have and are small enough they'll be easy to test on the network analyzer. I can find most of the materials for a twinlead j-pole lying around and they're easy to make but you'd have to string it up somewhere to use it. A j-pole antenna made out of pipe would probably be a little expensive and difficult to assemble. A dipole or whip antenna would be pretty easy to make.

Chris Hathcock