[K4RY] K4RY IGate Status

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.us
Thu Sep 6 18:24:20 CDT 2012

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012, John Klingelhoeffer wrote:
> Streaming audio from the repeater is an interesting idea, although it
> would need knowledge beyond mine to do that.   We have discussed
> Echolink as a way of getting new hams on the year quickly, since most
> students have iPhones or laptops (even though AU does not require the
> latter).

Linux/ices2/icecast2

Unfortunately, iTunes doesn't support Ogg-Vorbis, but VLC does. The
benefit of that is that you don't get the streaming bookmark stuck in
iTunes, and both can run simultaneously. With a little careful software
volume control, the repeater ID can be heard at a reasonable volume, and
the music as well.

Someone suggested this to BARC/W4CUE once for severe weather. Our
university-based stuff is less likely to need it, but being inside of a
building, it's handy to know if you're hitting the repeater.

Echolink is certainly another idea, but it takes time to get callsigns
registered because it's a manual process if you're on the fence about
it. Then there's the firewall/proxy issues that come with using that
software. The Mac version is called Echomac.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst