[K4RY] K4RY IGate Status

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Thu Sep 6 07:15:26 CDT 2012

Streaming audio from the repeater is an interesting idea, although it would need knowledge beyond mine to do that.

We have discussed Echolink as a way of getting new hams on the year quickly, since most students have iPhones or laptops (even though AU does not require the latter).

73

OTOH, now is the time to start building streaming audio rigs from single
frequency scanners to put a web feed of the repeater on the website. I
use this to monitor my repeater, and as long as VLC is listening to the
stream, none of the rest of the computer cares. Careful bitrate
manipulation can get it down to 8Kbps or so. And don't forget about
Echolink, IRLP, APRS, or anything else that needs a dedicated radio to
do receive-only or single-frequency link.