[K4RY] K4RY IGate Status

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:30:30 CDT 2012

Hi all,

It appears our dear Alinco 110 has finally died. Although it still makes
noise, the display is completely toast, rendering it unusable. When we
first got into the room, it wasn't even making a sound after unplugging the
speaker cable in the back connecting it to the KPC-2. After leaving it on
for a few minutes, it suddenly produced static through its speaker, and
connecting it back to the antenna resulted in some slightly stronger
static. Unfortunately, it no longer seems tuned to 144.39 MHz, so it cannot
be used for the IGate at this point. A new radio will likely need to be
purchased. I am unsure the cause of the LCD failure, but my suspicion is
that if lightning hit it, more than just the LCD would be dead.

Temporarily, I have connected the dual band IC-207 to the KPC-2, and we are
back to receiving RF. Check out aprs.fi if you'd like to see what kind of
traffic we're hearing.

Thanks to Chris for helping out!

73,

Kyle