[K4RY] moving the K4RY shack -- again

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 22:51:24 CDT 2012

Auburn Lakes Road is out north of Auburn proper, and the land is University property under the Ag department.  If you go north past the fisheries, turn northwest onto US280 at the Bottle, and go to the first and second streets to the left, that is Auburn Lakes Road and Gold Hill Road.

Much of that property belongs to Auburn.  There is, or was, a respectable Ag pavillion out there with hard power that AUARC used to use yearly for field day.  So, I know there are some structures out there, although I don't think any are enclosed.  It needs to be snake and wasp free!

I would guess that there is internet access out to at least the brand new fisheries building.  Since most all amateur equipment can be powered from 13.8VDC, it could also just use solar arrays and batteries.  The duty cycle would not be all that high, normally. Sounds like a good 'green' effort to promote in the school press.  It also minimizes any line noise.  I have never just gone through that area looking for small buildings, but looking at it on Google Maps, there appear to be many.

FO internet = fiber optic internet; i.e. a decent bandwidth internet connection capable of multiple channels of data.  Probably a T1 at least.  WiFi isn't going to hack it the distance from campus out there, but might from the new fisheries building into that area.

New transceiver(s)?  Probably yes.  Some that we currently have might be used for fixed frequency operation (like the statewide nets).

If this were remote operation, we would be talking about multiple antennas to be able to have multiple transmitters on the air simultaneously.  So, some band filters might be in the acquisition category as well.

Perhaps this is a driver to finally put up that log periodic dipole array.  I'll bet there are heavy duty tower sections hanging around some dusty back yards on campus somewhere.  It would not need to be 'high'.   This is also a good place for VHF and UHF antennas, because the land out there is at a much higher elevation than campus.

73

John...
WB4LNM

Dear John,

The administration is in a "fact finding" mode right now, trying to better understand the problem and scope of options.  I don't think they even CAN say (today) what they are willing to invest.  I just got a phone call from another department, questioning if the request to move is really mandatory -- so it is a complicated.  But I believe we need to be on the ground floor of discussions.  It doesn't hurt to explain what we feel will be the best solution. In my 23 years here, I've been often pleasantly surprised.

Tell me more about the "perfect world":
- Auburn Lakes Road (I'm not familiar with the location, can you give me coordinate)?
- FO intranet?
- we would buy new transceiver(s)?

John Hung