[K4RY] Meeting Tomorrow, 12:30pm Broun Conference Room

Kris Kirby kris.kirby at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 20:25:12 CST 2012

Remote base, permanently wired to 52.525, IRLP/Echolink/Allstar link,
remote control / patch link for radios located at the station... NASA
[shuttle] mission audio...

Alternatively, one can go the other way with it and put up a full-duplex
packet repeater at 1200 bps, 9600 BPS, or get wild and build a PACSAT-style
"screaming-demon" which allows users with software to automatically collect
files if other users are retrieving them...

Another idea would be to place another machine on the same frequency on the
other side of campus. Because of the FM capture effect, it's possible to
open one machine when the other cannot hear and so on. If the two machines
are at the extremes of campus, the entire campus should be covered by one
of them. One could link them over 900MHz back to the 2m machine (which I
assume is in the middle of campus)'s site and do voting there and return
the audio back out over 900MHz.  (900MHz mobiles transmit at ~902MHz and
recieve at 927 MHz; 900MHz repeaters can be made from 900MHz Motorola
Maxtracs with new conventional firmware if the Talkaround VCO is present.
These too will become obsolete in 2013. The 800MHz Maxtrac will, when the
input filter has been removed, tune from around 800MHz to 999MHz and may
require VCO adjustment, but will do the frequencies.)

A repeater, if it comes with cans and/or support, is not a resource to turn
away. =D

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris.kirby at gmail.com>