[K4RY] Old business items for the meeting today

Keith Warren kowarren at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 23 02:10:12 CDT 2011

To All,

I think what Carey was referring to was "why can't it be set up like it
was before ?"

This is not a regulatory problem. The way we used to have it set up was
as a Digipeater that repeats what it hears locally on RF.  Any received
station is repeated after inserting the K4RY call in the path and
decrementing the WIDE suffix.  There was an option to have a list of
calls that could be gated back onto RF locally.  This insures that you
know who these people are and they are indeed validly licenced Amateurs
and there is local interest (family & friends & club members) that would
want to see where they are on APRS. This is also important if you do any
ARPS messaging and a digi where you are forwards the message traffic to
the nearest IGate to the destination station and if the option to Gate
that call back to RF is enabled then the message is digipeated out to
local RF.

For messaging, the system is set up to be bandwidth efficient.  Say I am
visiting a distant city and I send a message to a local station in
Auburn.  The message is routed via the APRS internet gateway only to
IGates that have heard the destination station within the last half hour
(to insure probable proximity) and it is only gated to RF if the sending
station is on the list of calls that are allowed (so you know its a
licensed ham)

Our list was probably less than 12 calls and they were all definitely hams.

This is of use for those of us that travel with APRS....... nice to be
able to communicate position and messages with the home station in
Auburn or with friends.

Its also very useful for balloon missions.  Many times K4RY was the
destination call in the balloon path which insured that our beacons
would get passed to Auburn locally (monitored via RF on my home station
& others)
and since K4RY was at that time an IGate it made an internet record of
all our packets. Of course the internet raw data complete with time
stamp and path is only saved for 48 hours. If it also exists on a local
RF station's history file that is an extra backup that doesn't expire.

Its also very useful for weather nets and spotters.  For example Mike
WX4AL , could be in his car observing a funnel cloud.  What is easier
.....having him read out some coordinates or looking on the APRS map and
seeing his position plotted ?

The other issue is Auburn campus especially, is in a fairly low area and
would benefit from a "fill-in" Digi.  Normally these stations have an
alias of WIDE1-1  , and only repeat one hop which is enough to get you
out to a real WIDE digi with a better tower and broad coverage.  Why?
Because APRS is meant to be a mobile service. If Carey or I were driving
around we would want to see local RF traffic......  not everyone is
sitting at home looking at the internet.

The only decent Digi in the county is W4LEE-1 and it is not close enough
to hear the Auburn campus or west Lee County very well .

Also,  as far as I can tell the receive-only IGate is not even reporting
received stations right now.  I am 0.75 mi from campus and it hasn't
heard my home station yet.  I just got digipeated by KE4KWE in Phenix
City and it digi'ed to KJ4RHB on the east side of Columbus.  So the
IGate that put my beacon on the internet was over 35 miles away.

Keith Warren
AK4KO