[K4RY] Inexpensive 2M handie talkie available

wb4lnm at aol.com wb4lnm at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 16:30:32 CDT 2010

Universal Radio and 4 or 5 other US dealers are now importing amateur radio equipment from PRC at very attractive prices.

There was a note to this effect in the weekly ARRL news bulletin.  I went to the website, www.nowchinadirect.com, and then the Universal Radio site.

Interesting was the single band, 2M HT for $79 including DTMF keyboard and CTCSS/DCS encoding.  That is quite a good price for a 4 watt handheld.

It also includes a Li-Ion battery, drop in charger, antenna and expanded receive coverage from 136-174 MHz.

Somehow, they have also included a broadcast FM radio, 88-108 MHz into the unit.  Pretty nice for the price.

I cannot vouch for the quality since I've never owned this brand.

Just thought that some of the beginning hams in the Club might think this is a good entry level position to start in the hobby.

I'm including the Universal Radio website that shows the details, but you should contact the other vendors for pricing if you are interested in buying.

73

John...
WB4LNM

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5565.html#options