[K4RY] AUARC Common Spectrum Projects

wb4lnm at aol.com wb4lnm at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 23:06:42 CST 2010

Hi everyone;

Much better to be here where it was just rain rather than 30 inches of snow in DC!

I took an action at the last meeting to see what 'common spectrum' we could select to work on a project where all three license classes could operate.  Here is what I found from the most recent ARRL website chart:

On 80 meters, everyone can use 3.525 to 3.600 MHz for CW (A1) only (no PSK31, etc.)

On 40 meters, everyone can use 7.025 to 7.125 MHz for CW (A1) only (no PSK31, etc.)

On 15 meters, everyone can use 21.025 to 21.200 MHz for CW (A1) only (no PSK31, etc.)

On 10 meters, everyone can use 28.000 to 28.300 MHz for CW, RTTY, Data (Digital modes ok)

On 10 meters, everyone can use 28.300 to 28.500 MHz for CW and SSB voice

Everyone can use 50 MHz and up.

So, here is the synopsis:

If a voice project is desired, it needs to be SSB on 28.3-28.5, or can be any modulation type on 50 MHz and up.

If a digital mode (PSK31, etc.) project is desired, it needs to be on 28.0 to 28.3 or 50 MHz and up.

If a CW project is desired, it can be on 80, 40 or 15 meters (or up).  As an operational matter, we are at a low in the sunspot cycle, and 15 meters won't be very useful for another several years, but there is some activity during the middle of the day.

Here are some options for CW on the 80 and 40 meter bands:

The Pixie II (VERY simple):  http://www.indianapolis.net/QRPp-I/pixie2.html

The RockMite: http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/Rockmite.htm

For 10 meter data, the Small Wonder Labs used to offer a kit for this, but don't any more, and I think it was due to lack of activity on ten meters.  As with 15 meters, not much propagation available on ten meters right now.

For 10 meter SSB, there are a number of commercial transceivers available, already assembled.  Ok for local communications right now, but it will be years until the band really opens.

Six meters does not have a great number of participants, especially at this low spot in the solar cycle.  Anything simple built for 6 is likely to be for local use only.

Two meters is certainly one of the most popular amateur bands.  Building a transceiver for this band is certainly possible, but not really economical with hand held units brand new in the $100 range.

That is my synopsis, and I'll certainly accept others opinions on this.  I would like to have something simple for most to build.  Perhaps that should be the Pixie II to begin with for 80 or 40 meters.  That is what I would suggest.

Please let me know.  I'm not sure all of our members are on the reflector right now, so if I missed someone, please forward this.  Thanks.

I will most likely be on campus on Monday to loan my HF equipment again for this weeks School Club Roundup effort.  If you would like to operate, please let me know.  I may be at Broun again on Tuesday morning.

73

Klink...
WB4LNM