[K4RY] AUARC: Suggestion for replacement HF radio

WB4LNM at aol.com WB4LNM at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 18:04:57 CST 2009

The Club's HF radio is in need of replacement.  I can tell from the
service sticker on the current 1980's vintage radio that it has already been to  a
third party service center once, and I would think it very likely that
repairs  to the synthesizer and antenna tuning unit would run several hundred
dollars, at  least.

For your consideration, after doing quite a bit of web research, I suggest
acquiring a Yaesu FT-450AT.  A brochure for this radio is attached, and I
would suggest if we go this route, we purchase the 'AT' suffix that has the
automatic antenna tuner built in.  That means the radio will be a  little
more forgiving of folks who have not had a check flight.  The radio  is quite
impressive for one in the $800 range.  I think the entire manual  is
available at the Yaesu web site.

This is not to say that we should not internally investigate what is wrong
with the current radio with our own resources, in case it is something
minor.  However, we don't have a lot of those resources right now, and I  would
like to recover my HF radio that I loaned for the School Club Roundup
contest as soon as possible.  We do need to keep K4RY active and on the air  for
all of our student members.

For your consideration.  See everyone next Tuesday around 12:30 at  Broun
411.

73

Klink...
WB4LNM