[K4RY] Rules question

John Klingelhoeffer WB4LNM at aol.com
Fri Oct 3 20:29:01 CDT 2008

Absolutely not, Carey;

>From the FCC part 97's point of view, you would be communicating with
someone on another service, which is only allowed in emergencies and
specially authorized tests, such as the annual MARS cross band (actually
cross-service) test.

Two options are:  1)  have him get an amateur radio license (not hard
anymore since there is no code test) or 2) use FRS.  If you are close enough
to use the low power setting on your HT, then FRS's half-watt power should
be ok.  I was a bit concerned by aeronautical mobile operation of FRS at
first, but it is specifically approved by 47CFR95.  See paragraph a4 below.

The FRS radios have a great range of prices.  Get one of the better ones
>$60 for better performance.  The $20 units are pretty lousy.

Don't endanger your ham license by trying the one way thing.   It's clearly
illegal.

Regs follow.  73   John.   WB4LNM

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 5]
[Revised as of October 1, 2007]
>From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR95.192]

[Page 534-535]

                       TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

        CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (CONTINUED)

PART 95_PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES--Table of Contents

                  Subpart B_Family Radio Service (FRS)

Sec. 95.192  (FRS Rule 2) Authorized locations.

    (a) Provided that you comply with these rules, you are authorized to
operate an FRS unit:
    (1) Within or over any area of the world where radio services are
regulated by the FCC (this area includes the fifty United States and the
District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the United States
Virgin Islands (50 islets and cays), American Samoa (seven islands), the
Commonwealth of Northern Marianna Islands, and Guam Island);
    (2) Within or over any other area of the world, except within or
over the territorial limits of areas where radio services are regulated
by an agency of the United States other than the FCC or any foreign
government (you are subject to its rules);
    (3) Aboard any vessel or aircraft registered in the United States,
with the permission of the captain, that is within or over any area of
the world where radio services are regulated by the FCC or upon or over
international waters;
    (4) or; Aboard any unregistered vessel or aircraft owned or operated
by a United States citizen or company that is within or over any area of
the world where radio services are regulated by the FCC or upon or over
international waters.
    (5) You must operate the FRS unit only according to any applicable
treaty to which the United States is a party. The FCC will make public
notice of any such conditions.
    (b)-(c) [Reserved]
    (d) Anyone intending to operate an FRS unit on the islands of Puerto
Rico, Desecheo, Mona, Vieques, and Culebra in a manner that could pose
an interference threat to the Arecibo Observatory, shall notify the
Interference Office, Arecibo Observatory, HC3 Box 53995, Arecibo, Puerto
Rico 00612, in
writing or electronically, of the location of the unit. Operators may
wish to consult interference guidelines, which will be provided by
Cornell University. Operators who choose to transmit information
electronically should e-mail to: prcz at naic.edu.
    (1) The notification to the Interference Office, Arecibo Observatory
shall be made 45 days prior to commencing operation of the unit. The
notification shall state the geographical coordinates of the unit.
    (2) After receipt of such notifications, the Commission will allow
the Arecibo Observatory a period of 20 days for comments or objections.
The operator will be required to make reasonable efforts in order to
resolve or mitigate any potential interference problem with the Arecibo
Observatory. If the Commission determines that an operator has satisfied
its responsibility to make reasonable efforts to protect the Observatory
from interference, the unit may be allowed to operate.

[61 FR 28768, June 6, 1996, as amended at 62 FR 55535, Oct. 27, 1997; 63
FR 68976, Dec. 14, 1998; 70 FR 31374, June 1, 2005]

  _____