[Veritas-bu] can't re-use older tapes with new library

A Darren Dunham ddunham at taos.com
Tue Feb 16 15:59:47 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:54:36PM -0500, zimmy00 wrote:

> Here is the problem.  Some time ago we upgraded a library from an lto
> to lto3.  Now they scan differently and I set barcode rules to get the
> tape numbers to match.  The problem is that the older tapes are
> showing up as write protected.

LTO1 tapes are read-only compatible with LTO3 drives.  They cannot be
written.  Appearing as write protected would seem to be reasonable.

This is an LTO limitation, not anything to do with Netbackup.  LTO
supports writing to tapes one generation older, and supports reading
from tapes two generations older.

--
Darren