[Veritas-bu] Backup Catalog offsite

Rockey Reed Rockey.Reed at veritas.com
Wed Mar 30 23:10:10 CST 2005

Dante,

You are exposing yourself to a potential to have to import and catalog a
month worth of tapes.  If the only tapes that are going offsite is the
monthly then you're exposing yourself to the potential loss of a whole
month's worth of data.  Think of a tornado, which have occurred in all
fifty states!  For your catalog tape the minimum you need is three: one
in the library, one offsite, and one in between the two.

EXAMPLE:  Last night's catalog is in the library right now, yesterday's
is offsite, and the day before yesterday's tape is in transit.  If while
on the courier vehicle: you still have your onsite catalog.  If the
tornado hits your building when the courier vehicle is at your loading
ramp; you have yesterday's tape offsite.  The loss of data would be
reduced from one month to one day; provided your backed up data is
accompanying your catalogs from the production environment to the safe
site.

HTH

Thanks,

Rockey J. Reed