[Veritas-bu] Remote NDMP to master (5.1) server - dedicated drive needed?

Chris.Romano@Lazard.com Chris.Romano at Lazard.com
Thu Mar 24 10:43:38 CST 2005

Could you describe what you mean by remote...are you in a SAN environment where
the Netapps Filer can see the tape drives through the SAN or does the Filer have
no physical access at all to the tape drives.

                                                          To:      veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
              "K Chapman" <tech2187 at yahoo.com>            cc:
              Sent by:                                    Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Remote NDMP to master (5.1) server - dedicated drive
              veritas-bu-admin at mailman.eng.auburn.        needed?
              edu

              24 Mar 2005 10:56 AM

--- Chris.Romano at lazard.com wrote:

> I was told by Veritas that the Netapps Filer must
> write to the tape drive I/O
> via it's own dump/restore commands and thus would
> need to have physical access
> to the tape drive.  NDMP is a protocol whereby file
> inode info is sent over
> tcp/ip to the Netbackup master catalog, and the data
> is written by the NDMP
> client.
>
> We are in the process of setting up Netapps Filers
> and are also getting
> conflicting info (from Netapps) about whether we
> will need fiber cards in the
> Filer dedicated to the Tape Library (or Tape SAN)
> for use with NDMP
>

> Chris.

please see:
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_DataCenter/251713.pdf

we have an emc celerra and used direct and remote with
out problems.  if veritas is saying it wont work
except direct attached, the doc above is incorrect
(which i dont think is true).

Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu