[Veritas-bu] Remote NDMP to master (5.1) server - dedicated drive needed?

Chris.Romano@Lazard.com Chris.Romano at Lazard.com
Thu Mar 24 08:48:45 CST 2005

I was told by Veritas that the Netapps Filer must write to the tape drive I/O
via it's own dump/restore commands and thus would need to have physical access
to the tape drive.  NDMP is a protocol whereby file inode info is sent over
tcp/ip to the Netbackup master catalog, and the data is written by the NDMP
client.

We are in the process of setting up Netapps Filers and are also getting
conflicting info (from Netapps) about whether we will need fiber cards in the
Filer dedicated to the Tape Library (or Tape SAN) for use with NDMP

Chris.

                                                          To:      brounb at adi-limited.com, veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
              "David Turner" <Dturner at manh.com>           cc:
              Sent by:                                    Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Remote NDMP to master (5.1) server - dedicated drive
              veritas-bu-admin at mailman.eng.auburn.        needed?
              edu

              24 Mar 2005 09:14 AM

3yrs ago I was having similar issues which were never resolved. I ended
up dedicating a drive and it has been working ever since.