[Veritas-bu] tpreq and tar on Windows

Paul Esson paul.esson at redstor.com
Fri Mar 4 04:23:34 CST 2005

Folks,

I have come from a UNIX background where I was able to use a combination
of tar and tpreq to test tape drive performance outside of NetBackup.  I
am now trying to apply the same logic to Windows without much success.
I have a Master Server on W2K SP4 running Enterprise Server v5.1 MP1
with an ADIC Scalar 100 with 2 x DLT7000 drives.  I installed GnuWin32
tar and tested writing to disk tar archives successfully.  However, when
I try to use tpreq to provide access to the tape drive the following
command just hangs and never returns to the prompt.

tpreq -m 000012 -d dlt -p Redstor -f c:\temp\mount.123

Is anyone successfully using tpreq on Windows?  If so what is the secret
and can you share?

Regards,

Paul Esson
Redstor Limited

Direct:            +44 (0) 1224 595381
Mobile:           +44 (0) 7766 906514
E-Mail:           paul.esson at redstor.com
Web:               www.redstor.com
REDSTOR LIMITED
Torridon House
73-75 Regent Quay
Aberdeen
UK
AB11 5AR
Disclaimer:
The information included in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and
is intended only for the addressee.  If you are not the intended
addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Disclosure to any party other than the addressee,
whether inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or
confidentiality.