[Ncame-students] Issue with the hardness equipment

Pooriya Dastranjy Nezhadfar pzd0022 at auburn.edu
Sat Oct 31 14:51:02 CDT 2020

All,

I'd like to share a summary of the meeting I had with Anton Paar regarding the issue with hardness equipment:

Issue: Discrepancies between the hardness values obtained by optical measurement and the one that software provides
Conclusions:

1.       We should rely on the value the software is providing as it is more accurate; it considers not only the true shape of the indentor but also encounters the depth of the indentation

2.       The reason why there is a significant discrepancy is that the equipment is not calibrated for the Vickers hardness indentor
Solution: the equipment needs to be calibrated for the Vickers hardness

Per Dr. Shamsaei, I'm going to contact them for calibration. I'll keep you all updated.

Regards,
Pooriya
P.D. Nezhadfar, Ph.D. Student
Microscopy Laboratory Coordinator
Nat'l Cent. for Additive Mfg. Excellence (NCAME), Auburn University [eng.auburn.edu]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.eng.auburn.edu/ncame__;!!JIv3PKku!BL6wyi6KwwLLeY_m6e1HN-MG7aCLZjv4-vgnGZo3pV6dTFGb7EVQC5oiurXVq4aWpWeWZzo$>
1418 Wiggins Hall, 354 War Eagle Way, Auburn, AL 36849

[*]    334-497-2043

[*]  pzd0022 at auburn.edu<mailto:pzd0022 at auburn.edu>
[Image result for linkedin logo]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.linkedin.com/in/p-d-nezhadfar-4aa8428a/__;!!JIv3PKku!BL6wyi6KwwLLeY_m6e1HN-MG7aCLZjv4-vgnGZo3pV6dTFGb7EVQC5oiurXVq4aWQmGdpIo$>          [Image result for researchgate icon] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.researchgate.net/profile/Pd_Nezhadfar__;!!JIv3PKku!BL6wyi6KwwLLeY_m6e1HN-MG7aCLZjv4-vgnGZo3pV6dTFGb7EVQC5oiurXVq4aW5Be25sI$>