[K4RY] Merit Badge University Information

John Hung hungjoh at auburn.edu
Fri Mar 6 17:06:19 CST 2015

OK,

I am bringing the roll of paper, key, and the radio frequency spectrum information for them to plot the frequency chart.

BSA Youth Protection Training can also be done online in less than 30 minutes. Go to myscouting.org<http://myscouting.org>, create an account, and you can take the training. You get a certificate!

John Hung

On Mar 6, 2015, at 4:18 PM, Christopher Hathcock <cwh0009 at tigermail.auburn.edu<mailto:cwh0009 at tigermail.auburn.edu>> wrote:

We will be meeting at Broun Hall 238 at 7:00 am to setup. I will try to bring some doughnuts and drinks. We will need to be at Haley Center 1203 at 7:30 am to sign paperwork as well as participate in the Youth Protection Training.

Merit Badge University is scheduled to take place for 8AM to 4PM. We have to keep the scouts the entire time and cannot dismiss them early.

Dr. Hung is bringing a roll of butcher paper (and presumably the key). Chase already dropped off his mirror. SueAnne and I will be bringing electronic components, handheld radios, a set of matching cards, markers, SueAnne’s country map, 1m and 2m lengths of rope, and whatever other odds and ends we need.

We’re going to try and get the scouts on the air around 2pm on the K4RY repeaters. The 2m repeater is 144.24 MHz +0.600 MHz, PL 156.7 Hz and the 70cm repeater is 444.800 MHz +5 MHz, PL 156.7. If you’re a local ham and want to talk to the scouts, feel free to get on the air then. We’ll see if we can get some on the HF rig too, but that’s going to depend on conditions and time.

Here’s a tentative schedule for the day:

Bold indicates activity outside
Italics indicates a game or activity

7:00 AM               Arrive at Broun Hall 238 and begin setup
7:30 AM               Go to Haley 1203 for Merit Badge Instructor Meeting
8:30 AM               Fetch scouts from Haley Center Lawn

1a and 1b. Amateur versus broadcast radio
1c. Discuss call signs
1d. Phonetic alphabet
2a. Use radios to listen to WWV
                3a, b, c. Drawing the frequency chart, discus linear vs logarithmic graphs
                4. Fill in the blank radio and take apart some radios.
Demonstrate relationship between wavelength and frequency with rope.
Demonstrate propagation with mirror.
5a. Block versus schematic diagram (inside; semi-game)
5b. Block diagram of radio equipment
5d. circuit components
5c. Open and closed circuits with Morse.
       Short circuits.  Fuses (ties in with safety)
6. Safety
                8. Name radio careers while walking to lunch

11:00 AM             Lunch begins
1:30 PM                Lunch ends

2b, 7, 9a1, 9a4. Shack visit

2:00 PM                9a2 and 9a3. Review Q signals, then get on the air

9f. FIELD TRIP to look at antennas around campus (Haley, Broun, Allison Lab)
9a5. Emergency calls and how they work

                                (At this point, we can fill time with cool stuff in the shack. We have to keep them busy until 4.)
4:00 PM                Dismissal

If you have any questions, let us know.

Chris Hathcock (KD2BRP)