[K4RY] Field Day and More!

SueAnne Griffith sng0005 at tigermail.auburn.edu
Fri Apr 24 16:52:15 CDT 2015

Good evening everybody,

    Last night was the final business meeting before fall, but we'll be gathering downtown next Thursday to have a group dinner (non-members always welcome!) to finish off the semester. Meet at the campus portion of Toomer's Corner at 18:00, and we'll decide from there where to eat.

    Also (drum roll, please)... Exciting news regarding Field Day 2015!  The event is June 27 at 17:00 to June 28 at 16:59 this year.  According to the ARRL, it's the largest annual radio event in the US and Canada; the objective is to "learn to operate in abnormal situations in less than optimal conditions" (http://www.arrl.org/field-day).  This isn't a contest, but instead is a great opportunity for an outdoor, radio related get-together.

    Renting a pavilion at Chewacla State Park is $50 for the whole day, and the Upper Pavilion is available for the Sunday portion of Field Day!  If you've not been up there before, here's a description: it's an open air pavilion with a good roof and multiple picnic tables, electrical outlets, and camping grills situated on the tallest hill in the park next to a nice open field.  There is a bathroom next to it and plenty of parking, too.  In other words, it's ideal for setting up amateur stations outside.

    So, if you'll be in town for Field Day weekend and are interested in participating, let me know as soon as possible so we can get the pavilion reserved!  You don't have to be a student or even a licensed member to come, and we'll have a cook-out and such, too.  Fun for the whole family, the more the merrier, etcetera. :)

73,

SueAnne (KK4UWV)

AUARC Vice President