[K4RY] Contest Call Sign Usage

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 21:53:49 CDT 2014

A situation was also described asking if a club member who did not have HF privileges could operate the K4RY station IF there was an operator in the room with an HF-capable licensee.

The answer is a generally, but qualified yes.  Just as an operator with a HF capable license must identify with both the K4RY and his or her own callsign, a technician licensee can operate K4RY as long as s/he uses the K4RY callsign and the control operators callsign.  The person using the radio can even be an unlicensed person.  The control operator however, must, well, be in control of the transmitter, and of course insure it is operated within his or her privileges.  Being in the 411 Broun shack certainly qualifies for having positive control of the transmitter.

What's the qualification?  Domestic versus international contacts.  Not all countries allow communications between unlicensed individuals.  A listing of countries that unlicensed persons CAN talk with can be found at:

http://www.arrl.org/third-party-operating-agreements

As a final option, as far as I know, if operator wants to use his or her own callsign when operating the station in Broun, they can certainly do that.  "K4RY" is a station license, not an operator license, and it is somewhat different from your personal license which is both a station and an operator license.  Certainly, we try to help promote Auburn University by using the Club station callsign when we operate there, but it is not mandatory.

73

John...
WB4LNM
OES