[K4RY] AUARC participation in 11 October Simulated Emergency Test

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 10:03:11 CDT 2014

To AUARC members;

One of the reasons the Federal Government allows us the privilege of operating in the electromagnetic spectrum is that hams provide potential backup communications in times of natural disasters.  As hams, we prepare for these events by participating from time to time in mock emergency drills.

This year, the annual ARRL Simulated Emergency Test will be the weekend of 11 October in Alabama Section this year.  That weekend, Auburn football will be out of town, so other local activities will be lessened.

Therefore, AUARC members ought to consider participating in the SET, since it is a good training opportunity and any and all licensed amateurs (and interested folks under the control of a licensed ham) can operate.  It's also an opportunity to get some good public relations material to go into the newspaper / WEGL for AUARC activities.

I would urge that AUARC get in touch with fellow AUARC club member Mike Watkins, WX4AL, who works on campus, to discuss how AUARC members might participate in the overall scheme for the County.  In last years SET, under Mike's leadership, the Alabama section achieved the highest 'score' in the nation.

For additional information, see:

http://www.arrl.org/chapter-2-simulated-emergency-test-set

Have a good week.  73

John...