[K4RY] Juno flyby experiment

Christopher Hathcock cwh0009 at tigermail.auburn.edu
Wed Oct 9 13:45:16 CDT 2013

If you've got some free time between now and 3:40PM and want to take 10 minutes to participate in an experiment, NASA's Juno probe is flying by the Earth on its way back to Jupiter and NASA has setup a small experiment where you can try to transmit 'hi' to the probe on the 10m band. You'll should identify the station on 10m (K4RY) before the experiment, preform the experiment, then identify the station again afterwards. You can technically identify the station using voice in the part of the band our station is supposed to transmit on but you might as well do it in morse code anyway since you'll have the paddle connected for the experiment. K4RY should transmit on 28.432 MHz according to the experiment website. You can do this with a Technician's license and you can read about the experiment more at the following link:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/hijuno/

If I had known about this earlier I would have tried to schedule a club event but if anyone can make it up to the station and wants to give it a shot you're welcome to try. I'll see if I can stop by sometime this afternoon. I don't remember if the HF radio we have there can transmit on the 10m band so you'll need to check that first.

Chris Hathcock