[K4RY] moving the K4RY shack -- again

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Thu Jun 7 09:18:41 CDT 2012

Good morning ;

Yes, I can understand that, but the University (or School) is saying 'get out' without providing a list of possible alternative sites.  Blue-skying the possibilities is a terrible waste of time if you are +20 dB above what the administration is willing to give.

In a perfect world, I'd put the tower(s), antennas, and multiple transceivers out in a field up at Auburn Lakes Road (high and quiet ground and owned by the University already) and remote control them via high speed FO intranet (a full-time T1 circuit, at least) back to campus.  That way, members could operate HF and VHF/UHF wherever they wanted to, campus room, dorms, or off-campus apartments, via laptops / desktops remotely controlling the equipment.

The Club can always meet for multi-person meetings at the Student Union, which is built and operated for such things, rather than maintaining its own 'office' space.  We need to focus on getting student hams on the air and not just meeting weekly to talk among ourselves.  The repeaters on Haley should be an intercom for all members and all members should have the ability to use them whether through Club-provided handy-talkies or via Echolink.

That's my two cents, boss!

73

John...
WB4LNM

Dear John,

I don't know the constraints yet, but my advice is it is better to first ask for the sky, and be told we have to scale back.  Otherwise, we might miss an opportunity.

Remember, we are being moved by people who are not radio persons, so the scientific issues are lost on them.

John Hung

/student_info/k4ry/au_k4ry.html