[K4RY] AUARC: Getting out the word about the meetings

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.us
Thu Aug 23 22:49:52 CDT 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, John Klingelhoeffer wrote:
> Kyle:  A thought about getting the word out about the AUARC.  The 2M
> repeater has the ability to voice announcements as you have programmed
> before.  These can be done in rotation.  Might be useful for a while
> to put in an announcement that says, "AU amateur radio club meeting
> Tuesday 12 noon".  There is not a Broun or Brown or Hall or Building
> in the vocabulary, so at least it is a tickler.  I guess B R O U N
> could be spelled out.
>
> Another one might be, "A U Club information E May L to K4RY point
> AUARC at G May L point calm".  Ok, it is a bit pidgin, but that is the
> best we can do with the 1985 vocabulary.  You could put the 'G May L'
> and 'E May L' in without any pauses to help the effect.  (Using three
> syllables for a single syllable word is a time-honored southern
> tradition.) There is no 'dot' or 'period', nor any COM, so 'calm' or
> 'come' is as close as you can get, and I chose the former.
>
> Have fun and experiment.  There are some 500+ words in the vocabulary.
>  See:
> http://www.repeater-builder.com/acc/pdfs/acc-rc-96-owners-manual-v3-v5.pdf

This is a great idea. Lots of clubs around Huntsville have used this and
other methods to get the word out about events. The NARA spent the money
on a CAT-1000 just for the DVR capability. My Pion and Simon controller
does a single message, for up to ten seconds.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst