[K4RY] BAuburn packet

Keith Warren keith at spatialmicrosystems.com
Tue Apr 3 00:36:48 CDT 2012

Hello Kris and anyone interested in APRS,

If you want to understand the B in your APRS comment field please refer to
the APRS specification related to compressed data format.

Here is a link so you can follow along :
http://www.scribd.com/doc/79359362/23/The-Compression-Type-T-Byte

Your K4RY packet looks normal, you have a compressed Lat/Lon field
sandwiched between Icon symbol set characters , in your case the \ and -

which means Alt house icon.  The compressed data is between the \ and -

On page 37 of the referenced APRS document in the table called Compressed
Position Data you see the last symbol code is followed by two bytes that
could represent course/speed or Radio Range or Altitude.

You are not using those bytes and they are blank.  Following those two bytes
is another byte called "Comp Type" in the table and that is the compression
type used.

This is the location in the packet where your B resides, after that begins
the comment field where you have Auburn University ARC igate

Now the B is a code that represents the Compression Type and is explained on
page 39 in the table and subsequent text.

If you take the ASCII B which is a decimal 66 and subtract 33 to get the
decimal value that created that ASCII scan code, 66 minus 33 equals 33.

That translated to binary is 100001 and if you put that into the table on
page 39 we will see what it means.

GPS fix =1 current
NMEA source 00 = other
Compression origin 001 = TNC BText

So , apparently it is a correctly formed packet but a lot of APRS programs
are just not doing anything with that byte and appending it to the comment
text

Unfortunately , that may be a lot of the programs out there. I know my old
version of WinAPRS shows BAuburn and possibly UI-View does as well.

My son & I are writing a new APRS program right now and we will try to
decode this correctly in our program.

In order to remedy this there are a couple of things you could do. One would
be to use regular non-compressed format, and your status text or comment
field would not be preceded by a Comp Type character.

If you really must have compressed format, you could try to use Mic-E type
data which is more common and decodes correctly on a majority of programs.

If you need further help with this please let me know.

73,
Keith Warren
AK4KO