[K4RY] AUARC: RS232C to TTL interface sale; Icom C-IV interfacing

wb4lnm at aol.com wb4lnm at aol.com
Mon Mar 14 12:31:38 CDT 2011

For those members who have radios with +5 V TTL serial stream interfaces (Icom's are one, but not the only one, of these)
and computers with serial ports, you may want to check out a special from Schmartboard this week:

http://www.schmartboard.com/index.asp?page=products_populated&id=84

This is an RS-232C to TTL level converter for $10.50, which I am pretty sure will substitute for the $150 Icom CT-17 level converter.

See the diagram here for what is apparently inside the CT-17 converter.   http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/civ-sch2.html

The CT-17 and its equivalents allow a number of (free) remote control PC programs to access and control the front panel selections on your transceiver.

One of these is Ham Radio Deluxe, which not only controls the radio, but has sound card digital mode modules (PSK31, etc.), satellite tracking, and more.

See:  http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/Programs/HamRadioDeluxe.aspx   for more details.

I am going to take a closer look at this on Tuesday (when it is expected to rain here) to see if it meets all the Icom interface needs.

There may be other uses around your shack / lab for a TTL to RS-232C converter that might benefit from this.  The price is very good.

73

John...
WB4LNM