[K4RY] K4RY: TS-450S repair: Positive prognosis at this point

WB4LNM at aol.com WB4LNM at aol.com
Tue Mar 1 13:53:32 CST 2011

I've been working for the past couple of days to repair the Club's Kenwood
TS-450S 'synthesizer unlock' problem.  I've had some positive results this
morning.

One of several synthesizers in the radio seems to have a defective
trimming capacitor that is changing value and sometimes becomes  intermittent.
When I can get it to 'sit' in the right range, the radio  stays in good lock
and sounds very nice.  However, when out of range, I get  the 'unlock' signal
or a burbling, distorted signal when on the edge of  lock.  It's now been
working for several hours without any problem.

The capacitor is (naturally!) in a difficult place to replace.  If  this
looks like it is the solution, and it does at this point, I'll go ahead and
replace it.  That's all for right now.

73

John...
WB4LNM