[K4RY] AUARC: Really BIG backup batteries information

wb4lnm at aol.com wb4lnm at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 20:50:20 CDT 2011

Ok, I took down some information from the MSO backup batteries and looked them up online when I got home.  The data sheet can be found at:  http://www.staticpower.com/pdf/26.10.pdf   and the model number is 100A-13 to key in to the right data on the sheet.

As a back of the napkin analysis, as wired these provide about 27 volts at SOD and 21 volts at EOD.  They will provide 29 amps for 24 hours.  So, that is roughly 700 watts for 24 hours.  Quite a capacity.  Charging will take about 18 amperes for a day or so.

Anyway, they can probably be restrapped for 13.5 VDC, which would be the easiest thing to do, since all of our equipment can run off of that voltage with no worry about DC to DC converters and such.  Paralleling two banks of six cells might be possible with steering diodes or preferably with a relay.  These would probably be able to back up the repeater for a couple of weeks!

The toughest problem in using these will probably be figuring a place to put them and getting them up that last flight of stairs in Haley Center.  Looks like the weight is several hundred pounds.

73

John...
WB4LNM