[K4RY] IC-209 repair - needs micro soldering attempt

WB4LNM at aol.com WB4LNM at aol.com
Thu Feb 25 22:41:57 CST 2010

Hi Keith;

I removed the 2 meter power module from the IC-209 tonight and popped the
module cover off.  From my limited magnification viewing, it does appear
that a trace is broken in one area mentioned online.  I'm unable to embed a
picture here in AOL, but the links can be found if you Google  "SC-1091".
Surprisingly, and I think as has been reported elsewhere,  Icom used no
heatsink compound on either module and in fact had a small piece of  sheet metal
clamped in between the module and the chassis, further increasing  the
thermal resistance.

Could I bring this module by your house and leave it with you to let you
look at it under the microscope and attempt a repair?  I don't know when I
will be back in Auburn right now, since I went today and my normal day in
town  is Thursdays.  I should for sure be there next Thursday, but I don't
currently have any plans prior to that point.

While I performed this same 'repair' on the power module for my TM-742
several years ago, it actually ended up not being the module at all, but the
module power control pass transistor.  So, while it does look like it might
be the module, it might not as well.  At this point with the module out,
that other variant is difficult to test, so it's better to try the more likely
 fix first.

I think the modules run $60 or so new.  B'hamfest is coming up on the  5th
and they might have some less expensive there if we know by then it is
really bad.  I also have some Motorola power modules that are not as  powerful
as these, but might work in a pinch.  With the distance to the  repeater, we
could also just jumper out the module and use 100 mw!

Please let me know.  73

John...
WB4LNM