[K4RY] Soldering station deals at MicroMark

wb4lnm at aol.com wb4lnm at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 18:09:58 CDT 2010

For those of you who may want to do some printed circuit or 'manhattan' circuit construction, MicroMark has some Weller soldering iron stations on sale.

The less expensive one, $22, should be fine for any sort of through-hole kits or projects that you would want to do.  My suggestion to you is that if you purchase the station, I'd purchase a set of replacement tips at the same time.

The slightly more expensive one, $46, has some finer tips, including one that is probably good enough for the larger SMT components (1206 size and 50 thousands lead spacing IC's). Again, I'd buy the replacement tip kits along with the station, especially the 1/32" tip.

Links to the pages are:

http://www.micromark.com/ECONOMY-PRICED-VARIABLE-TEMPERATURE-SOLDERING-IRON,9257.html

http://www.micromark.com/ELECTRONIC-SOLDERING-STATION,7632.html

These are about the best prices you are going to see short of something unusual on eBay.  The next step up is the WES51 industrial station that is in the $100 range.

Disclaimer:  I don't have any connection with MicroMark other than getting their catalog through the mail.  You can go on their site and add yourself to the mailing list.

Solder is probably most economically purchased on eBay or at a hamfest.  For reliability, don't buy any of the 'no-lead' solders (but wash your hands after using them).  The non-lead ones do not make a reliable long-term connection.

Also, don't buy any solder for electronics that is coded "RA".  "R" and "RMA" is ok, although you should wash the board with a solvent afterwards with the latter if you desire long life.  For more, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering

Questions?

73

John...
WB4LNM