[K4RY] { SPAM 1 }:K4RY weekly activities

WB4LNM at aol.com WB4LNM at aol.com
Sun Oct 25 08:41:59 CDT 2009

K4RY completed the School Club Roundup this past week with contacts being
put in the log by Steven Ritz, KE5VLM and the undersigned.  Mid-day
conditions on 40 meters were not good, 20 was 'long' and 15 meters  sporadic.  We
did put Hawaii and Croatia in the log, however.  The  noise floor from other
electronics in Broun Hall on 40 meters is severe, staying  S8 to S9 most of
the time all across the band.  The log and score sheet  will be submitted
this coming week.  There will be another SCR in the  spring, and I hope more
campus hams will participate.  We really need  a 75 meter antenna on Broun
Hall to rack up additional points in  the evening.

As noted in email several weeks ago, the Kenwood TS-450S has had its
frequency synthesizers fall out of lock and the ATU is grinding & squealing,  so
something is amiss internally.  While there is funding in the treasury  to
fix this piece of equipment (it appears from stickers its been to a
third-party clinic previously), I am not sure spending a couple hundred dollars  on
a 1980's technology transceiver makes sense.  If there isn't an  alternative
HF transceiver somewhere in our stores, buying a new transceiver for
$700-800 may be a smarter thing to do.  If there is an alumni out there who  fees
that fixing a TS-450S is within his / her capability (we have the service
manual), let me know.

Finally, there is a new sign / poster outside the Broun Hall 411 club
space.  See the attachment to this email for an image.  Interesting  that I
researched the CopyCat and Engineering Media offices on campus and Office  Depot
and they all quoted me $22-28 to print this poster in 20x30 inch  size.  I
then found I could upload the artwork file to SamsClub.com  and have it
printed at the local store immediately for $8.95, which I did.

73

John....
WB4LNM