[K4RY] Rules question

William Capps CAPPSWB at auburn.edu
Mon Oct 6 08:56:45 CDT 2008

Hello Everyone,
    For what it is worth, I have made several qso's with a
/aeronautical mobile ham here in auburn on the 2 meter fm simplex
frequency. I used to monitor the simplex frequency when I had a radio in
my auto. He would call CQ simplex and I could easily talk to him. The
aero ham had some kind of single seat high performance airplane and he
would fly from basically Fort Walton Beach Florida to La Grange, Ga and
back again to keep his flying license active. He had a permanently
mounted radio and antenna and I am sure he was 50 watts. We always had
good qso's crystal clear. Onetrip/qso I made with him, I drove out to
Sand Hill road on the south side of town. There is a large hill just
east of Good Old Boy's. I was surprised to find out I could talk to him
all the way to florida and only lost him when he began to drop in
altitude to begin his landing at the air field.

73
Bill  AF4OD

>>> "Carey Huff" <chuff at hoarllc.com> 10/3/2008 11:39 PM >>>
Ahhhhh, that's what I was looking for.

On first glance, the broadcasting thing was what I was worried about.
I looked that one up and was able to satisfy myself that I would not be
broadcasting.  Seeing as Dad is not the "General Public" and I would
have a specific intended audience.

I was hoping that this would fall under cross band comms, but since
cross service is explicitly disallowed, looks like I am out of luck.

The basis of the discussion is this - We have tried air to ground on 2m
and didn't have much luck.  There was so much noise that we were pretty
unintelligible.  Not sure why.  I tapped into the intercom system and
fed the mic input of the radio with a tap.  Sounded fine on the ground.
I was able to make one QSO with a random HAM on our flight home.  We
were in deep south GA and using the Cheaha repeater to talk to a guy in
Anniston.  It was quite a ride.  Every time I was ready to transmit, Dad
pulled the throttle to idle and we would glide till I went back to
receive mode, he'd hit the gas and we would climb back up.  :)   The
plane is pretty loud on the inside.

I have a nice set of Motorola FRS units, I'll have to give those a try
and see if they work.

I appreciate the input from everyone.  I got several notes off list.
Don't worry John, I'm not going to do anything to endanger my license!!

73,

AI4TZ