[K4RY] Update on status and a meeting!

Jimmy Hicks hicksji at auburn.edu
Thu Oct 2 11:02:50 CDT 2008

Howdy everyone!

I have moved the TS-450, the power supply, and the rotor controller over to the new shack in Broun 411.  With Mr. Keith Warren's help the rotor controller is hooked back up along with the radio and working. I made a contact with north Italy yesterday and on 100W he said he had me 59 +20.

At some point this weekend (probably during the day Saturday) if anyone will be in the area I will be moving the rest of our equipment over to the new shack.  The room is quite large compared to the old room in the Old Physical Plant building. Storage of the field day antennas and the station master are about the only two things that I can see presenting a small problem at this time.

In just the few days that we have had the radio setup in the room...a few grad students from ECE have stopped by and been interested in what is going on. I think that the club being centered on the main part of campus again might help out with the recruiting.

Next Thursday, a week from today, October 9th. I'd like to have an official club meeting since we haven't done this in quite some time (mainly because of membership being low).  The meeting will consist of visiting the new room and discussing the future growth of the club!

As far as equipment goes, the club is looking for a few runs of feedline that can be used for operating the digipeater, echolink, and possibly one to two more for experimental things.  As far as length goes, that is one of the things I am looking into going into the weekend. If anyone knows exactly how long the feedline is that goes up to the HF beam there is (from what I've been told) about 50 ft extra up on the roof...and about 8-10 ft extra down in the room. (Side note to Keith... nope they did not use the whole length of the line to get down to the room. I went up yesterday to make sure the rotor was turning the antenna and there is still quite a lot on the roof!).

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions? Send me an e-mail back or send it out on the mailing list for everyone!

See you all on Saturday or next Thursday!

Jimmy Hicks
KI4IWL